CARY, NC – SBA North Carolina District Director Ms. Lynn L. Douthett will honor Dr. Melissa DeRosier, founder and CEO of Cary-based 3C Institute with a special Award of Excellence for Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship. The firm develops specialized technologies for health, including intelligent games, dynamic e-training platforms, and software systems to support quality healthcare practices.
Dr. DeRosier, a PhD in Clinical Psychology from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, started 3C Institute in 2001. She grew frustrated that research-based tools to address important societal issues like bullying, academic underachievement, and social-emotional health were not being used in everyday practice in schools and healthcare settings. Starting the business on her own, she set out to create innovative solutions to bridge this research-practice gap. 3C Institute now has a staff of 70 full-time employees and continues to grow.
DeRosier received almost $25 million in Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) grants and contracts awarded by agencies including the U.S. Department of Education and National Institutes for Health. The SBIR program provides funding to explore feasibility of an innovative idea or technology, expand research and development and ultimately bring the innovation to the marketplace.
In 2011, 3C Institute received a Tibbetts Award, given to exemplary firms that have received SBIR funding.
- SBA North Carolina District Director Lynn L. Douthett
- Melissa DeRosier, 3C Institute
- Congressman David Price
- Margaret Winslow, Director Grants & Econ. Development, Office of Senator Kay Hagan
- Mike Seibert, Regional Center Director, SBTDC at NC State
- John Hardin, Exec. Dir. of Science & Technology, NC Department of Commerce
- Denise Bennett, Vice President Business Sales and Strategy Wells Fargo
- Mason Ailstock, Vice President of Business Development, Research Triangle Park
Award of Excellence for Innovation and Social Entrepreneurship Presentation
Museum of Life and Science
433 West Murray Avenue
Durham, NC 27704
Friday March 7, 2014
10:00 AM – Remarks, Award Presentation
Media interviews available.